Wiki Loves Monuments is a global photo competition to capture historical and cultural monuments and sites throughout the month of September.
The 2018 contest is now OPEN. It ends on 30 September.
Why you should join the contest
Just like fundraising raises money towards a cause, Wiki Loves Monuments (WLM) collects photos for Wikimedia Commons – a repository of freely usable media files. Many of such photos feature on Wikipedia articles.
Participating in Ghana’s contest
Joining the contest is easy.
1. Find a monument in Ghana you want to photograph or one that you have photographed already.
(Check Ghana’s material cultural heritage page for the monuments and sites to visit.
However, if you know other monuments and sites you can share with the world, your photos are welcome)
2. Take high-quality photos of the monuments. (All photos are self-taken)
3. Create a Wikimedia Commons account if you don’t have one already.
5. Please note: there’s no Freedom of Panorama in Ghana, so you can only upload photos of monuments existing for 70 years after the death of the architect.
What happens next
After the September 30th deadline, a local jury will select the winning photo. The overall top 10 photos will be selected to represent Ghana at the international level.
At the international level, the top 10 photos will be selected and an overall winner picked.
- Technical quality (sharpness, use of light, perspective etc.)
- Usefulness of the image for Wikipedia.
The winner of the Ghana contest wins a prize of ¢500 for the winning photo in Ghana. There’s also a cash prize for the international winner.